Teen Book Recommendation #6: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
page count: 282
pub date: 01/28/1813
genre: classic /realistic fiction /historical b/c at this point its 200+ yrs old
age group: teen / adult
My Rating: 5/ 5 stars* (This is my all-time favorite book)
Why am I recommending this book?:
Did you see where I wrote that this is my FAVORITE book? I’m not even sure I need to say anything beyond that. But in case you question my taste in novels (which hurts), I’ll elaborate a little more on why you should read this book.
- It’s a classic (and well-rounded and well-read people read classics).
- It’s got romance (and who doesn’t like a little romance?).
- It’s got social commentary (true the commentary is 200 years old, but a lot of it is still surprisingly relevant).
- It’s got a fantastic set of characters (some you’ll love, some you’ll hate, and some you’ll find absolutely ridiculous).
- You saw Pride & Prejudice & Zombies (and now you really should read the ORIGINAL source material).
In all seriousness this is a fantastic read. Give it a chance…it might seem slow going at first, until you adjust to the language (things have shifted in how we write in the last two centuries). Once you get used to the writing, though, I am sure you will enjoy it!
*a note on my rating system: I go by the rates I use on goodreads.com, which are as follows:
1 star = did not like it
2 stars = it was okay
3 stars = liked it
4 stars = really liked it
5 stars = it was amazing
Anything a 3 or above is worth reading, in my opinion. I’ve read a lot of books that I have given 3 stars to, and I don’t regret any of them.